A word about alcohol addiction
Whenever an individual develops a dependence on alcohol, there are a number of changes and consequences that typically result. The effects can be long-term or short-term and affect the individual emotionally, mentally, physically, and even spiritually. There may also be financial, legal, and social consequences that result. Alcoholism leads to significant health damage but it also destroys families and relationships in the process. For the moderate drinker, it is easier to stop drinking than for the chronic drinker.
When a person’s alcohol abuse or dependency gets to the point where they cannot function throughout the day without drinking, it’s time to get the professional help that can only be found by entering an addiction treatment and recovery center. There are out-patient programs and residential or in-patient programs available, so you will have to decide which one is best suited to address your personal needs. Remember that the goal is not only learning how to stop alcohol addiction but staying clean and sober for life.
5 tips for alcoholism rehab success
The following tips may increase your chances of experiencing a successful recovery and remaining clean and sober for the rest of your life:
- Tip #1: Focus on the little goals – the idea here is not to wake up everyday and focus on staying sober for the rest of your life. Instead, set your sights on accomplishing a different, smaller goal everyday.
- Tip #2: Start building your support network – when you are undergoing alcohol rehab, you can start developing a support network by building relationships with your peers as well as your counselors and therapists. This will be beneficial immediately and down the road.
- Tip #3: Bring an item from home that is inspiring yet personal – photos of your kids or past vacations are always an inspiration to start living the life you once did.
- Tip #4: Don’t give up if you stumble – there is always going to be the possibility of a temporary setback occurring. When it does, and it will, don’t give up.
- Tip #5: Continue your treatment by getting referrals – you want to build a list of local referrals while you are in the rehab program. For instance, if acupuncture was effective while you were in the program, found an acupuncturist close to home to continue with.
Let our referral service help you
The Rehab Advisor is the premier addiction treatment referral website. We list the most successful programs for how to stop alcohol addiction throughout the US. So no matter where you live, we can refer you into a program in your local vicinity. For more information about our referral site and our addiction recovery programs, fill out the form above or call the toll-free phone number above to speak with someone immediately.